Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009), known as the
PocketFavorite.com

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Price, Toms win with 11-under 60

BARRINGTON, R.I. -- David Toms returned the favor on Tuesday.

After Nick Price's strong play during the opening day, Toms had eight birdies to lead the pair to the title at the CVS Caremark Charity Classic at the Rhode Island Country Club.

Toms and Price shot a second-round 11-under 60 on Tuesday as they won the best-ball tournament with a combined 36-hole total of 16-under 126.

Toms accounted for eight of the team's 11 birdies on Tuesday as the pair earned the top prize money of $300,000.

Toms and Price finished three strokes ahead of the second-place team of Matt Kuchar and Laura Diaz, who shot 13-under 129.

"We both played really well the last 27 holes," Toms said. "The way my partner played on the back nine Monday, I'll remember that for a long time. He shot 29 and kind of carried me around.

"I owed it to [Price] after the way he played yesterday. I knew I had to come out today and play well for us to have a chance," Toms said.

Price accounted for six birdies in the team's first-round total of 5-under 66.

A World Golf Hall of Fame member, Price has 18 career victories on the PGA Tour. He's won three CVS Caremark Charity Classics while Tuesday's victory was the first for Toms.

"I missed a couple of short putts but [Toms] just played so well today," Price said. "I was just going along for the ride. I said to him 'Now, I know how you felt yesterday."